Director of Programming
Strive: How You Lead Matters is a non-profit organization dedicated to spreading the power of character-driven leadership. We deliver dynamic experiences in sport, school and community spaces. With over twenty years of robust research based curriculum, we develop leaders who are prepared to meet the challenges of the 21st century.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Strive is an equal-opportunity employer. We encourage individuals to apply regardless of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, pregnancy status, national origin, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, and/or any other characteristics unrelated to merit.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
How we define Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at Strive
Diversity: Who’s present? Who is not?
The understanding that each individual is different; the recognition of our differences as it relates to the dimensions of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, physical abilities, religious beliefs, political beliefs, or other ideologies.
Equity: Does everyone have access to resources that meet their needs?
The presence of structural factors that benefit all individuals, groups, and communities; an intentional effort to transform the status quo by providing opportunity and resources for those who have historically not had access.
Inclusion: Does everyone feel included?
A state of belonging and connection; the act of including and supporting people who have historically been marginalized or excluded.
How You Lead Matters
Strive’s purpose is to spread the power of character-driven leadership. We know that effective and successful leaders are self-aware and bring their full identities and values to any situation. Through social emotional learning and character-driven leadership, we believe that anyone can lead, and that when everyone brings their differences and individuality to the table, we are all more motivated, innovative, and collaborative.
Strive is committed to ensuring that individuals from all backgrounds have the opportunity to become character-driven leaders through our intentionally designed social-emotional learning curricula and programs.
We are committed to creating and maintaining a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment.
We know that modeling and leading by example is an integral part of leadership, and we therefore strive to always put our core values into action.
Full Time, 9am – 4pm Monday – Friday with occasional evening and weekend hours.
Hybrid – Strive’s hybrid model includes virtual meetings and admin tasks alongside occasional meetings at the Wilmington, DE office and in person facilitation (nationally).
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Programming is responsible for providing vision and leadership for the program department, overseeing a portfolio of programs and providing oversight, coaching and professional development to both employees and contractors in the Programming Department.
The Director of Programming is an integral part of the Directors team and is involved in strategic planning, budgeting, development of organizational structure, and going to scale planning and implementation. Alongside the Directors team, the Director of Programming works to promote a strong organizational mission and culture. Additionally, the Director of
Programming serves as a key external voice and thought leader for our organization with partners, funders, and other stakeholder groups. They lead our efforts to manage and grow our partnerships with schools, colleges and universities, community organizations, and other nonprofits and funders. The Director of Programming serves as a highly visible external representative of Strive and must be comfortable building strong relationships with diverse partners.
- Works directly with the Directors Team to advise on Strategic planning.
- Oversees the Program team in outreach, program design and implementation efforts.
- Supports Instructional Designer in keeping curriculum in alignment with current needs and trends.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Organizational Oversight
- Actively cultivates an inclusive work environment that contributes to the achievement of the organization’s diversity, equity and inclusion goals and cultural competences, including but not limited to the areas of recruitment, retention, and training and development
- Works closely with the Directors Team on outreach, program design, planning, budget development, assessment and continuous improvement for program outcomes and impact
- Reports to and works in close collaboration with the Executive Director, to shape the strategy, operations, and metrics for the program team
- Works with Director of Operations to ensure compliance with government and other contracts and ensures staff maintains appropriate records
- Identify, apply and execute on programming grants in partnership with the Directors Team.
- Support in fundraising campaigns
- Contributes to special initiatives as needed
- Oversight of Programming
- Responsible for program revenue funded by fee for service, grants and other special programs
- Train facilitators on up to date practices and Strive facilitation culture in partnership with the Director of Curriculum and Instructional Design
- Provides daily leadership, management, and mentorship for Programming team, ensuring they have clear direction, resources, and support to achieve their individual and team objectives
- Creates and oversees programming outreach strategy
- Contributes to Sports Challenge strategy and execution
- Contribute to Sports Challenge recruitment and admissions process
- Partner Management
- Cultivate and strengthen partner relationships through consistent contact and timely follow through
- Develops and cultivates relationships with collaborative partners to create and facilitate innovative programs that address community needs
- Cultivate new partner relationships: schools, community organizations, local athletic leagues, etc. through outreach utilizing all available channels (email, phone, in-person)
- Source leads and build contact lists
- Attend networking events
- Successfully manage and demonstrate ownership of all aspects of each client as well as delegate partnership management ownership to Programming Team
- Facilitate workshops, events, programming, etc. as needed
- Ensure proper preparation and follow up conducted with clients for each program
- Strengthen client relationships through implementation by bringing an engaging energy and flexible mindset.
- Leads the application of an equitable lens to our programs in partnership with Strive’s Executive Director
- Attends and speaks at networking events, conferences, etc.
Skills and Qualifications:
The candidate should possess a passion for education, particularly in the area of social-emotional learning and character development
- 5+ years work experience in education, athletics and/or other related fields
- Experience in sales, recruitment, outreach and/or program management
- Experience in program implementation
- Strategic mindset
- Proven success managing a team and projects and developing others
- Background in Social-Emotional Learning and/or leadership development
- Understands the essential roles diversity, equity and inclusion play in social emotional learning and leadership development
- Demonstrated problem solving, autonomy and organizational skills
- Ability to multi-task and take initiative
- Self-motivated team player with the ability to meet deadlines, remain flexible, and adjust to changing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- An enthusiastic leader with a zest for learning and a strong commitment to positively impacting others
- Strong passion for exceeding client expectations
- Proficiency in Google Platform (Docs, Sheets, Gmail, etc)
- Experience with HubSpot, Salesforce and Adobe creative suite a plus
- Please be prepared to use your personal laptop
Our Core Values & Principles
Strive upholds the following core values, and expects all employees to do the same:
- Know Thyself
- Fill Tanks
- Brush It Off and Grow
- Be Fair and Honest
- Choose Laughter
- Stick With It
- Find the best in yourself so that you can inspire the best in others
How To Apply
Send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com no later than March 31st. This position will be filled on a rolling basis and may be filled before this deadline. An offer to interview will be extended to qualified candidates.
Please email your resume and cover letter to us at firstname.lastname@example.org to be considered for the Director of Sports Challenge position.
Sign up to keep your leadership skills sharp and stay updated on all things Strive.
"*" indicates required fields